Awarded to early career scientists to recognise and honour their achievement or promise in a branch of marine science.
The Challenger Society initiated the award to the members of the Society, of four Fellowships awarded biennially in 2000. The Fellowships are awarded to early career-stage marine scientists who are members of the Challenger Society, for their achievements and promise in a branch of marine sciences: marine biology, marine chemistry, marine geology and marine physics.
1. Should be by email or letter explaining the reasons for nomination, quoting, where appropriate, relevant reference to scientific publications or other contributions.
2. A short curriculum vitae of the nominee is required.
3. The nomination should be submitted by a single proposer with support for the proposal provided in writing by one or two (preferably) other members. The letters of support should be included with the submission of the proposal.
4. Nominations should be submitted to the President of The Society (email@example.com) before April 1st.
5. Nominees should be members of the Society.
6. Nominations and applications will be considered by the Council of the Challenger Society.
7.Current Council members of the Society are ineligible for any award or prize.
8. The award of the Fellowship is traditionally made to recipients in person at the biannual conference.
From 2017, it was agreed by the Council that upon their appointment, Fellows of the Society are entitled to apply for a bursary of up to £1000, to support the Society as ambassadors and help to deliver the Society's goals. The Fellows should apply to to the President within the 2 years following the award of their fellowship. Applications should be via email to the President (firstname.lastname@example.org) and outline the purpose, the costs and the measurable outcomes of the proposed activity. The President will consult with Council as appropriate to agree the activity. The bursary should be spent and completed within the 2 year period, prior to the election of the next Fellows.
Challenger AGM 2020
The Challenger AGM - Mon 28th September 2020 at 1200...
NOC - Net Zero Oceanographic Capability Project
NOC announces an ambitious scoping project....
Challenger Society 2020 Conference
Conference Postponed until Sept 2021 due to Covid-19 outbreak.Challenger Society 2020 Conference
at SAMS , Oban
6th-10th September, 2021
Registration, and Abstract submission is available on the conference website at https://challenger2020.co.uk