Marine Science and Policy Special Interest Group
An increasing number of scientists are using their research to influence legislation, policy and public opinion. This can be through a wish to be “useful” to society, or the external pressure upon researchers to generate “impact” from their research - both from grant funding agencies (e.g. EU, NERC), and, within higher education institutes, for the Research Excellence Framework (REF).
Many scientists, particularly at the start of their career, find it difficult to know how they may increase the societal impact of their work, outside of involvement in activities such as “World Oceans Day” type events. There is so much more to become involved in, in particular activities leading to an influence on legislation and policy.
The Marine Science and Policy SIG seeks to:
- Provide a forum for researchers interested in, or wishing to be involved in, influencing policy and legislation on a regional, national and/or international scale.
- Enthuse scientists, particularly early career researchers, about becoming involved in influencing policy.
- Advise scientists wanting to become involved in policy work on dissemination methods, common challenges, and potential funding opportunities.
- Host regular meetings for researchers working in aspects of policy, or wishing to become involved.
- Stimulate collaboration opportunities between Challenger members.
The Marine Science and Policy SIG is aimed at UK-based marine scientists involved in, or interested in, influencing legislation, policy and public opinion. The group is multidisciplinary, open to scientists working in any aspect of marine research.
September 2015 – Marine Science and Policy SIG meeting, ICES ASC, Copenhagen. Tuesday 22nd September 2015, 1pm-3pm. Room Vesterbro Torv (2nd floor of the conference centre).
September 2016 – Marine Science and Policy SIG meeting, Challenger Conference, Liverpool.
Contact names:Dr Jacqueline Tweddle email@example.com
University of Aberdeen / Marine Scotland Science
Dr Abigail McQuatters-Gollop firstname.lastname@example.org
Ocean Business 2019
Sales job opening with Planet Ocean
Planet Ocean have an opening for a Scientific and Technical Sales Engineer.
Summary of Position
- Responsible for sales of marine science technology products
- Support the achievement of annual sales targets in line with company business strategy
- Build long term relationships with all relevant personnel in customers organisations
- Represent Planet Ocean at public forums and trade shows
- Organising and undertaking product demonstrations
- Represent the company in a positive and professional manner at all times
Satcom Forum, 9th-11th October 2018 in Amsterdam, Netherlands.
You are invited on behalf of the World Meteorological Organisation and the Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission, to the meeting of the Satcom Forum, 9th-11th October in Amsterdam, Netherlands.