The Challenger Medal
The award is for a distinguished UK marine scientist or other person who has made a single major contribution, or a sustained contribution, to the development of marine science, or whose innovation has opened up new perspectives.
The Challenger Medal is the premier award of the Society. The award is for a distinguished UK marine scientist or other person who has made a single major contribution, or a sustained contribution, to the development of marine science, or whose innovation has opened up new perspectives. The medal is presented on the occasion of the Challenger Lecture by the recipient during the Challenger Society biennial meeting.
1.Should be by letter explaining the reasons for nomination, quoting, where appropriate, relevant reference to scientific publications or other contributions. Nominations should be submitted by 31st January 2018 (awarded at 2018 Challenger Conference in Newcastle, September 2018).
2. A short curriculum vitae of the nominee is required.
3. The nomination should be submitted by a single proposer with support by one or preferably two others.
4. Nominations should be submitted to the President of The Society (firstname.lastname@example.org) (from whom advice may also be sought) by January 31st 2018.
5. Nominations and applications will be considered by the Council of the Challenger Society.
6. The recipient need not be a member of the Challenger Society.
7. Current Council members of the Society are ineligible for any award or prize.
New edition of Ocean Challenge is available for download
We are very pleased to announce that the new edition of Ocean Challenge V22 No.2 is available for download.
Sea Level SIG Meeting - Registration/Abstract submission open
2nd-4th July 2018 the Permanent Service for Mean Sea Level will be hosting an international conference on sea-level at NOC and the University of Liverpool. We're already receiving abstracts for speakers and posters, so make sure you submit yours soon - abstract deadline is the 30th March.
Seeking Expressions Of Interest for position of Honorary Secretary on the Challenger Council
We seek lively and engaging scientists, from academia or industry, enthusiastic about supporting career development for our colleagues and helping to shape and manage the future of one of oldest and foremost Marine Science Societies in the world. We have three Council positions available including Honorary Secretary. See http://challenger-society.org.uk/join_council for more information.