Previous Honorary Members
R G Williams OBE
Former Secretary of the National Institute of Oceanography at Wormley and former Treasurer of the Challenger Society for Marine Science from 1956 - 1973. Sadly, Ray died in January of 2016 aged 92.
Ray Williams played a key role in managing the Institute’s finances and most notable in managing the funding the construction of the new (1962) RRS Discovery.
- Prof RI Currie
- Commander WJ Copenhagen
- Sir George Edward Raven Deacon FRS 1906-1984 (Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society 1985 vol 31 pp 111-142)
- Dr Cyril Lucas, biography
- Sir Frederick Stratten Russell FRS 1897-1984 (Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society 1986 vol 32 pp 461-493)
- JN Carruthers
- HO Bull
- Eric Henry Edwardes Havelock CB, CBE, OBE, FRSE
- Joseph Proudman FRS 1888-1975 (Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society 1976 vol 22 pp 319-333)
- William Thomas Calman FRS 1871-1952 (Obituary Notices of Fellows of the Royal Society 1952-1953 vol 8 pp 355-372) HU Sverdrup
- GP Bidder
- Dr HR Mill
- Mr HG Maurice
- Edgar Johnson Allen FRS 1866-1942 (Obituary Notices of Fellows of the Royal Society 1942-1944 vol 4 pp 357-367)
- HB Bigelow, biography
- E le Danois
- G Gilson
- B Helland-Hansen
- O Pettersson
- G Schott
- Swire (last surviving member of officers and scientific staff of HMS Challenger)
- Dr Johan Hjort FRS 1869-1948 (Obituary Notices of Fellows of the Royal Society 1950-1951 vol 7 pp 167-181)
- Prof Georg Ossian Sars
- H.S.H. The Prince of Monaco
- Prof Dr Karl Brandt
- Prof Dr Carl Chun
- Prof Max Wilhelm Carl Weber FRS 1852-1937 (Obituary Notices of Fellows of the Royal Society 1936-1938 vol 2 pp 347-355)
The world’s foremost conference on marine electromagnetics incorporating an exhibition and poster session.
AMBIO VIII registration and abstract submission open!
The Scottish Association for Marine Science (SAMS) are pleased to invite you to Oban for the Advances in Marine Biogeochemistry (AMBIO) VIII Conference 6 - 8th Sept 2017. The conference will present state-of-the-art research and technology in UK marine biogeochemistry.
Vacancy: Regius Professorship of Ocean Sciences
The University of Southampton and National Oceanography Centre, Southampton, are on the search to fill one of the most prestigious roles in academia, a Regius Professorship.