Previous Honorary Members
R G Williams OBE
Former Secretary of the National Institute of Oceanography at Wormley and former Treasurer of the Challenger Society for Marine Science from 1956 - 1973. Sadly, Ray died in January of 2016 aged 92.
Ray Williams played a key role in managing the Institute’s finances and most notable in managing the funding the construction of the new (1962) RRS Discovery.
- Prof RI Currie
- Commander WJ Copenhagen
- Sir George Edward Raven Deacon FRS 1906-1984 (Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society 1985 vol 31 pp 111-142)
- Dr Cyril Lucas, biography
- Sir Frederick Stratten Russell FRS 1897-1984 (Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society 1986 vol 32 pp 461-493)
- JN Carruthers
- HO Bull
- Eric Henry Edwardes Havelock CB, CBE, OBE, FRSE
- Joseph Proudman FRS 1888-1975 (Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society 1976 vol 22 pp 319-333)
- William Thomas Calman FRS 1871-1952 (Obituary Notices of Fellows of the Royal Society 1952-1953 vol 8 pp 355-372) HU Sverdrup
- GP Bidder
- Dr HR Mill
- Mr HG Maurice
- Edgar Johnson Allen FRS 1866-1942 (Obituary Notices of Fellows of the Royal Society 1942-1944 vol 4 pp 357-367)
- HB Bigelow, biography
- E le Danois
- G Gilson
- B Helland-Hansen
- O Pettersson
- G Schott
- Swire (last surviving member of officers and scientific staff of HMS Challenger)
- Dr Johan Hjort FRS 1869-1948 (Obituary Notices of Fellows of the Royal Society 1950-1951 vol 7 pp 167-181)
- Prof Georg Ossian Sars
- H.S.H. The Prince of Monaco
- Prof Dr Karl Brandt
- Prof Dr Carl Chun
- Prof Max Wilhelm Carl Weber FRS 1852-1937 (Obituary Notices of Fellows of the Royal Society 1936-1938 vol 2 pp 347-355)
Early online Ocean Challenge articles
Three articles from the first 2017 volume of Ocean Challenge have been published early online.
Challenger President Marches for Science
On International Earth Day (22nd April) our President Prof. Rachel Mills joined 100s of 1000's of people around the globe to March for Science.
Registration open for Ocean Modelling SIG September 2017
We are pleased to announce that registration for the 2017 Challenger Society Ocean Modelling meeting is now open.The meeting will be held 11-12th September 2017 at the Met Office, Exeter.