Previous Honorary Members
R G Williams OBE
Former Secretary of the National Institute of Oceanography at Wormley and former Treasurer of the Challenger Society for Marine Science from 1956 - 1973. Sadly, Ray died in January of 2016 aged 92.
Ray Williams played a key role in managing the Institute’s finances and most notable in managing the funding the construction of the new (1962) RRS Discovery.
- Prof RI Currie
- Commander WJ Copenhagen
- Sir George Edward Raven Deacon FRS 1906-1984 (Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society 1985 vol 31 pp 111-142)
- Dr Cyril Lucas, biography
- Sir Frederick Stratten Russell FRS 1897-1984 (Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society 1986 vol 32 pp 461-493)
- JN Carruthers
- HO Bull
- Eric Henry Edwardes Havelock CB, CBE, OBE, FRSE
- Joseph Proudman FRS 1888-1975 (Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society 1976 vol 22 pp 319-333)
- William Thomas Calman FRS 1871-1952 (Obituary Notices of Fellows of the Royal Society 1952-1953 vol 8 pp 355-372) HU Sverdrup
- GP Bidder
- Dr HR Mill
- Mr HG Maurice
- Edgar Johnson Allen FRS 1866-1942 (Obituary Notices of Fellows of the Royal Society 1942-1944 vol 4 pp 357-367)
- HB Bigelow, biography
- E le Danois
- G Gilson
- B Helland-Hansen
- O Pettersson
- G Schott
- Swire (last surviving member of officers and scientific staff of HMS Challenger)
- Dr Johan Hjort FRS 1869-1948 (Obituary Notices of Fellows of the Royal Society 1950-1951 vol 7 pp 167-181)
- Prof Georg Ossian Sars
- H.S.H. The Prince of Monaco
- Prof Dr Karl Brandt
- Prof Dr Carl Chun
- Prof Max Wilhelm Carl Weber FRS 1852-1937 (Obituary Notices of Fellows of the Royal Society 1936-1938 vol 2 pp 347-355)
New edition of Ocean Challenge is available for download
We are very pleased to announce that the new edition of Ocean Challenge V22 No.2 is available for download.
Sea Level SIG Meeting - Registration/Abstract submission open
2nd-4th July 2018 the Permanent Service for Mean Sea Level will be hosting an international conference on sea-level at NOC and the University of Liverpool. We're already receiving abstracts for speakers and posters, so make sure you submit yours soon - abstract deadline is the 30th March.
Seeking Expressions Of Interest for position of Honorary Secretary on the Challenger Council
We seek lively and engaging scientists, from academia or industry, enthusiastic about supporting career development for our colleagues and helping to shape and manage the future of one of oldest and foremost Marine Science Societies in the world. We have three Council positions available including Honorary Secretary. See http://challenger-society.org.uk/join_council for more information.